Chapter Guide: Midterm Exam I
- Textbook chapters covered: Chapter 1 and Chapter 2
- A video message from the instructor
Midterm Exam I is approaching, and this is the time to study hard to prepare for it. Here are some hints to get you started:
- Exam #1 covers Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 & Chapter 3 (3.1 - 3.2). There will be 20 multiple choice questions and four short answer questions on the exam. Each multiple choice question will have five possible answers. You will have access to a periodic table (see this link to see what the periodic table looks like.) The exam will last approximately two hours.
- The first two pages of the exam deserve some comment. The first page of the midterm will include an integrity statement that you will be required to sign. Signing the integrity statement implies that you have not received (and will not be giving) any information on the midterm exam to others that might imply cheating; a failure to sign the integrity statement grants an automatic score of zero, so make sure the first thing you do is to sign the statement. The second page of the midterm exam will be a scoring page which will be filled out by the instructor when the exam has been graded; you do not need to complete anything on this page. An example of the integrity statement and grading sheet can be found using this link.
- You will need to bring a scantron (100 questions total or 50 questions on each side) to avoid a manual grading point penalty), your calculator and a pencil to the exam. No notes will be allowed.
- You should be able to know how you did on the exam by Friday of the same week. A "grade summary" sheet will be stapled to the back of the exam showing how you are doing in the class so far, etc. It's important to look at this form carefully to ensure that the grades you are receiving match the grades in my grade book, see if you have any missing lab reports, etc.
Generally, it will be important to know the material and to know it well enough to complete the problems relatively quickly. By this time you should have a good exposure to the material, so the concepts will be familiar to you. If you do run into concepts which trouble you, be sure to check out the Chapter Guides for Chapter 1, Chapter 2 Part 1 and Chapter 2 Part 2 which are encapsulated in Lesson One, Lesson Two and Lesson Three.
The goal should be to try to do the problems accurately and quickly simultaneously. Here are some resources which may help you to prepare for the exam:
- A sample exam is available on the Chemistry 221 website under Quizzes and Exams. Here is another sample exam (answers).
- Try these sample quizzes: Chapter 1, Chapter 2 Part 1 and Chapter 2 Part 2.
- Try these sample quizzes as well: a chapter one quiz, a nomenclature quiz and a second nomenclature quiz
- View the Concept Guides for Chapter 1, Chapter 2 Part 1 and Chapter 2 Part 2 for an overview of the relevant concepts along with worked problems and answers.
In addition, you might wish to study using the Practice Problem Sets (with answers given at the end of the document):
- Practice Problem Set One (Chapter 1)
- Practice Problem Set Two (Chapter 2 Part 1)
- Practice Problem Set Three (Chapter 2 Part 2)
If you need assistance on these problems, you have several options. You can visit the AVID / Learning Success Center located above the MHCC library on the Mt. Hood Community College campus; they have tutors available to help you with your chemistry homework. You can also contact me if you have any questions.
Good luck with your studying! As always, let me know if you have any questions. Peace, --- Michael
The Chapter Guides:
- Chapter Guide One (for Problem Set #1)
- Chapter Guide Two (for Problem Set #2)
- Chapter Guide Three (for Problem Set #3)
- Chapter Guide: Exam #1 (for Midterm Exam #1)
- Chapter Guide Four (for Problem Set #4)
- Chapter Guide Five (for Problem Set #5)
- Chapter Guide: Exam #2 (for Midterm Exam #2)
- Chapter Guide: Class Presentations (for the Class Presentations)
- Chapter Guide Six (for Problem Set #6)
- Chapter Guide: Final Exam (for the Final Lecture Exam)
Questions? Contact me!